Tuesday 14 February 2012

TALENT OR HOBBY

This is the first post of a random writter so it is expected to be random. :D. Tola famakinwa, get off my back!
Between our primary and secondary school days, some of us had a ‘talent’ or two which we were praised for either by our teachers, parents or peers.  As a result, we saw ourselves in the future being famous for something in that line. Most of the time, these were more of hobbies than talents but of course every parent believed they have future stars as children. Stop. Think. Which were yours? For me, i remember vividly my numerous talents (or were they simply hobbies? I cannot say for sure now). Hahaha. Was it just me or every kid who at every interval of two years changes goal and ambition? i just really had many things I felt and believed i was good at therefore i had various perceived future faces. Hmnn. 
First, it was my leadership quality. Now this kept on till my final year in the secondary school.  The baffling thing right now is, if i was such a great leader, what relegated me to a great follower in my university days? Did i meet greater leaders or all i had was charisma and not leadership quality? I wonder.
So, the second ‘talent’ came right when i was just in my primary 5. Wow! She is so fast on the tracks. Hahaa.  Of course, i have no trophy to show for this ‘talent’ which continued through to my 5th year in the secondary school.  Mostly because when i had to go and represent my school, i usually do not fall within the fastest three. And the few times i did, ‘the gift belonged to the school’. It took alot of ‘failed’ races to realise i could only do the shortest sprints. Now that is disappointing.
This third ‘talent’ surfaced in my final year in the primary school. The writing skill! Now, i still am not sure if this is a hobby or a talent because this is one that has succeeded in sticking till now.  If you ask me, i see it more as a hobby because i derive so much pleasure and relief from emotional stress by putting my thoughts down on paper. Oh, i will not forget to say one set back in this, when i start off, i am usually unable to type a conclusive line. Frustrating! Hey, before this discourages you, not to worry, i will somehow succeed in concluding this already long post of mine.
I cannot forget to mention the public speaker part. Haahaa. Yes o. That also one of my ‘talents’. I became a ‘future presenter’.  Up until recently, i was still hoping one day i will anchor a TV programme.
Did i mention that i am also a counsellor? Believe it or not o, i am. I can’t stop laughing just putting this down as i remember each. My days in camp, I even trained as a peer educator trainer. I never put that into use. I just kept telling myself, someday, I will have a pre-university centre for teenagers. Well, somehow, maybe this will still come to pass.
If I keep writing I will not stop because i know i grew up having many ‘talents’ or were they just hobbies? Or dreams?
So, let’s hear yours. Am sure we have some of you with a few ‘neglected’ talents...or hobby. Wink*.
The purpose of this is to find out if my readers remember having ‘talents’ that they simply can’t find anymore. Also, let us help our kids to pick out and differentiate between talents and hobby so that we help them develop the talents and encourage them in their hobbies rather than make them believe they have all these talents and in the process of aiming at so many goals end up letting go of a key talent that they would have been famous for.
               

6 comments:

  1. the list is endless and may never end. Just wobder which my kids will take after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice ending...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think this is one experience we all have had especially growing up in Nigeria with little to no career counselling and support to enable us develop or/and actualise our potentials be they hobbies or talents.

    I remember once going back memory lane just like you did when you wrote your piece. I think the weirdest dream I had was to become an astronaut...Most of the times its our parents we share these thoughts with and they are unlikely to guide/counsel you objectively.

    We, growing in Africa, first expend needless energy pursing many of these ideas, hobbies, talents which fizzle out along the way. We discover ourselves 'too late' in life as a result.

    The Russian or Chinese or American gymnast or athlete is already training before the age of 3, winning laurels before 20 and nearing the peak of his or her career before 30. This is when we are starting to get a clearer idea of what we actually should be doing in life.

    ReplyDelete