Monday 26 September 2016

SHE MADE ME SEE BEYOND...the genotype

Can we meet you?
I am a 30yr old graduate of marketing from Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH), A married woman that currently works for herself,l love meeting people reading and writing.I ve a passion for interior designs and the name is MARYAM

When did you first understand the magnitude of the condition you have?
Ans: I had always known i was different like my elder brother but the magnitude of my condition hit me when i became an adolecent,my peer were growing but i remained a flat chested tiny girl with big tummy , then I started learning more about who and what i really am.

How did you take it?
Ans: Not too good at first i must say,because i felt I was d cause of every joke plus not being able to do all what my friends could do without consequences. coming to terms with who i am really took great amount of research and understanding from that point on it has not been too bad.

Did you feel  very different amongst your siblings and friends? If yes, how so?
Ans: fortunately or unfortunately for me I had an elder brother with same condition so it was not much of an issue with siblings but with friends must times i feel different because majority don't understand why i can not do all they do or why i am on drugs must times or even hospitalised.

Did this condition affect your academics in anyway?
Ans: yes it did, but for me it was more psychological than physical. I had a stress induced crisis during my exams in sch at a point (it was one of the worse crisis even) i notice unconsiously that i don't take studying as serious as i use to studying(stress) became like a phobia.

Did you at any point blame your parents, whether consciously or unconsciously?
Ans: hmmmmm. I might have at the peak of one or two crisis but I when I see the pain in there eyes when they see me in pain all such thoughts disapper from my mind.

So far, what was the critical period for you when you wondered if you would survive? That is,  your worst crisis ever. And how old were you at this point?
Ans: Age 28, a crisis like i never had before when i saw fear in the eyes of my doctor then i thought all hope was lost because I never seen him in that state ever before. 

Growing up, did people look at you funny knowing your condition?
Ans: its became normal as i always get the pity look as if i am a dead man walking.

Did you have to deal with discrimination amongst your peers? How did you overcome that?
Ans: sure i was been discriminated amongst my peer cause as human beings i believe we are usually scared of what we don't understand as such discrimination occurs but for me i made up for it in other ways. yes i could not be who they are but i ensured i made myself into an indispensable person to them.

What makes it so easy for you to talk about it?
Ans: living with my condition can only get easier if people are enlighten about this condition,by talking about it i get to change people's misconceptions about the condition.

Do you think if two people of genotype AS love each other so much, they should go ahead and get married in spite of the risks?
Ans: in my opinion and that of a realistic person my ans is a big NO, cos i have come to realise it takes more than love for a family to survive with sickle cell patients when the realist of the situation heats them i am so sure they will not remember when they use to love each other, except they are heartless.

What can you say to encourage little children who has sickle cell?
Living with sickle cell should not be a stombling block but rather it should be a stepping stone. Yes we are restricted in the things we can do but even at dt we can be the best of what ever we set our minds to because we are special.



1 comment:

  1. I love the concluding part, u can be the best of whatever we sent our minds at. As a haematologist in training, we manage sickle cell,yes I know of sickle cell medical doctors, another a worker in a telecommunication company n many more. My advice is to love yourself, live your life to maximum, obey instructions, avoid self medications especially pain injections (it has destroyed many people I know). To all the sickle cell disease persons out there,u r special n d sky is your limi.

    ReplyDelete